Access to Emerald.com/insight is authenticated using the following methods:
- Institutional IP
- EZproxy/WAM proxy
- Shibboleth/OpenAthens - see also SeamlessAccess
- Referring URL
- Google CASA
- Organisation Access Number
Institutional IP Address
To use Emerald’s e-resources institutions should obtain and use a fixed, external IP address. Why?
- Access by IP is preferred - we can register both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols (if both are in operation at your institution, it is essential that both are registered to the account)
- Instant recognition for institution
- Seamless access, no need for log-in details (username / password)
- Administration reduced as all computers networked on the IP address can access e-resources
- Heightened security due to reduced misuse of log-in details (username / password)
Emerald is compliant with several major federations. For the current list please see our Shibboleth information page.
In order to register your institutional access credentials with Emerald, please contact Emerald Customer Support using the form below.
Supporting federated access through Shibboleth/OpenAthens, SeamlessAccess provides a quick and secure single sign on, so that users can access emerald.com/insight (and other enabled platforms) anywhere using their institution credentials. Further information is available here.
We can establish referring URL access from a URL which sits behind a firewall and is not otherwise visible to unauthorized users. This must be a https:// URL and must not be in the public domain. Please contact Emerald Customer Support for further information on how to set this up.
Further information about Google CASA is available at the bespoke solution page here.
Further information about Proxy access is available at the bespoke solution page here.
Organisation Access Number (OAN)
We are now able to provide an Organization Access Number (OAN) to support off-campus access, where it isn't possible to use the alternative authentication methods which are referenced above. OAN's can also support membership access where username and passwords are preferred.